Dr. Peter Northouse's Leadership Lecture at UIUC
On Sept. 26 2012, Illinois Leadership Center (contact: Mr. Heath Harding, Associate Director) hosted a special lecture of Dr. Peter Northouse - the prominent leadership scholar in the world. Dr. Peter Northouse is well-known his seminal textbook of "Leadership: Theory & Practice - http://www.sagepub.com/books/Book235117). Dr. Peter Northouse presented his insights about leadership.
Place: Levis Faculty Center
Time: Sept. 26, 2012, Noon ~ 1PM
Contributions from the Theories
- Trait approach: intuitively appealing/meager results
- Skills approach: expansive/ general and less precise
- Style approach: task/process powerful constructs
- Situational approach: pragmatic/weak research
- Contingency approach: abstruse but good data
- Path goal : expectancy approach/pragmatic appeal
- LMX: in & ut groups real/how to begin groupness
- Transformational approach: the moral issue / factors
- Authentic leadership: developmental / untested
- Psychodynamic approach: deals with authority issue
What's Hot - What's not
|Civic responsibility / ethics
Character / values/ strengths
Leader centricity / followers / context
Leadership / management
* The follower centric approach is not much addressed, but it is getting hotter and hotter as information flourish.
* As information flourish, followers challenge leadership authority and legitimacy.
The role of Stories and Leadership (narrative)
* President Barack Obama
- Harvard Lawyer, Community organizer, First African American President...more
* Former governor Mitt Romney
- Harvard Lawyer, Mormon bishop, Massachusetts Health Care Plan... more
Importance of LIfe Stories:
"Life-stories are a major source of leader authenticity"
(Shamir & Eilam (2005: Leadership Quartely, 16, 295-417.
- LIfe stories provide a meaning system
- Life stories provide information about clarifies the leader's values and convictions.
- Life stories help leaders establish an identity.
Trait Leadership is Alive
"Must Great Leaders Be Gregarious?"
* Susan Cain - Author of The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking
Resources in Leadership
|Internatioanl Leadership Association
Center for Creative Leadership
National Clearninghouse for Leadership Programs
|Leadership quarterly, and many other journals|
- Theory exists and it can inform practice
- We can all learn to improve our leadership
- Effective leadership builds community and enhances the common ground
Q: Why does situational leadership is not hot anymore?
A: Situational leadership did not get many academic supports.
Q: What's your current research?
A: Ethical leadership style; Calvinistic approach; Feministic approach
Q: What is ethical leadership?
A: Distribute common goods. How way of ethic behaviors of leadership make different consequences?
I had a chance to ask a question. "There is a big tension between managers and employees from my interviews at a subsidiary MNC in Korea. Managers demands more self-directed employee behavior while employees want more autonomy. In business literature, there is a self-leadership concept. Do you think the self-leadership is one of 'leadership' theory or it is self-directed behavior stuff?"
Dr. Peter Northouse replied that "it sounds like a 'self-directed behavior' rather than self-leadership' because self-leadership has no 'leader-follower' relationship. He suggested me to look on 'Robert House's GLOBE study' to address cultural difference in MNC.
I really thanked his kind and insightful comments. In addition, I am very honored that he gave me a signature with the best wish.
Sept 26, 2012, UIUC