[ARCHIVE] Changing Faculty Diversity (MGM Department) Regarding American College Degree Advocation at a Sino-American College in Mainland.
Advocating American degree value and ethics at the Sino-American college is important for several reasons. For example, in the perspective of Global Recognition and Employability, American degrees are highly regarded and recognized worldwide for their quality and rigor.
By advocating American degree value, the Sino-American college can enhance the international recognition and reputation of its graduates. This recognition increases their employability both within China and globally, as employers often value the skills, knowledge, and work ethic associated with American education.
1. Ethical Standards and Academic Integrity: American universities have established ethical standards and a strong emphasis on academic integrity. By promoting these values at the Sino-American college, it cultivates a culture of honesty, intellectual rigor, and ethical behavior among students and faculty. Upholding high ethical standards contributes to the integrity of the educational process and prepares students for professional environments that prioritize integrity and ethical decision-making.
2. Critical Thinking and Analytical Skills: American education places significant emphasis on critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. By advocating American degree value, the Sino-American college encourages the development of these skills among students. Critical thinking skills are essential for navigating complex challenges, evaluating information, and making informed decisions. By fostering these abilities, the college equips students with valuable skills for their academic and professional journeys.
3. Innovation and Entrepreneurship: American higher education is renowned for fostering innovation, entrepreneurship, and a spirit of creativity. Encouraging these values at the Sino-American college can inspire students to think outside the box, develop an entrepreneurial mindset, and pursue innovative solutions. This mindset is crucial in today's rapidly changing world, where adaptability, creativity, and the ability to embrace new ideas are highly sought after.
4. Cultural Exchange and Mutual Understanding: The Sino-American college serves as a bridge between the American and Chinese educational systems, cultures, and perspectives. Advocating American degree value and ethics promotes mutual understanding, cultural exchange, and cross-cultural collaboration. It allows students to gain exposure to different educational approaches, diverse perspectives, and alternative ways of thinking. This exchange can foster cultural appreciation, respect, and the development of a global mindset among students.
5. Academic Collaboration and Research Opportunities: Promoting American degree value at the Sino-American college can lead to increased academic collaboration and research opportunities between American and Chinese institutions. This collaboration can facilitate knowledge exchange, joint research projects, and interdisciplinary partnerships. By aligning with American educational values, the college can attract partnerships and resources that enhance research capabilities and academic excellence.
In summary, advocating American degree value and ethics at the Sino-American college in mainland China benefits students by increasing global recognition, fostering ethical behavior, developing critical thinking and analytical skills, encouraging innovation and entrepreneurship, promoting cultural exchange, and opening up opportunities for academic collaboration and research. These factors contribute to the overall quality and competitiveness of the college, while also preparing students to thrive in a globalized and interconnected world.
However, As of May 2023, there has been a notable shift in faculty diversity in Management, Global Business, and Marketing (MGM) department in the College of Business.
Following the announcement made by the Dean of the College of Business in Spring 2022, restricting the hiring exclusively to "Local People," the diversity composition underwent a significant and noticeable shift.
The composition of faculty members now reflects a higher number of local and L/F (Local/Foreign between) individuals compared to foreign faculty members.
The potential consequences of losing foreign faculty members at the institituion may include:
- Reduction in foreign faculty diminishes global perspectives and diversity.
- Cultural exchange opportunities are undermined.
- Potential impact on the academic reputation of the college.
- Transmission of American education values may be compromised.
- Loss of diverse perspectives crucial for a well-rounded education.
- Hindrance to cross-cultural understanding.
- Advocacy for the value of American degrees may be compromised.
It is important to consider the long-term implications and maintaining a diverse and inclusive faculty body.
*Remarks: Since the declaration of hiring only "Local People" by the Collge of Business Dean on Spring 2022, the composition of diversity shifted dramatically.
2023. 05. 28: Trend line added.
*2024 is projected according to the internal information (five more new faculty members: 2 foreign; 2 local; 1 L/F).
2023. 05. 28: Trendline added with additional internal information for 2023-24 new hire.
2023. 05. 18. Initially Archive.
The data comes from a MGM department faculty member.
'AmericanBizEdu@China > 3.FacultyLife@China' 카테고리의 다른 글
|Foreign Faculty Senator (Ad Hoc, Nominating Committee) (0)||2023.05.16|
|대한 경영학회 편집위원회 (제 35대 편집위원회) (0)||2023.05.01|
|Kean University (Wenzhou) HR Contacts (0)||2023.03.14|
|Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Landing PAD (Wenzhou) (0)||2023.02.10|
|[Media Exposure] Smile Hunter - Jerry (0)||2023.01.14|