Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control -- March 2003 -- Volume 125, Issue 1, pp. 60-68
(Received March 1998; revised Sep. 2002)
This paper presents a semi-active seat suspension with an electrorheological (ER) fluid damper. A cylindrical ER seat damper is devised on the basis of a Bingham model of an arabic gum-based ER fluid and its field-dependent damping characteristics are empirically evaluated. A semi-active seat suspension is then constructed, and the governing equations of motion are derived by treating the driver mass as a parameter uncertainty. A sliding mode controller, which has inherent robustness to system uncertainties, is formulated to attenuate seat vibration due to external excitations. The controller is then experimentally realized, and controlled responses are presented in both time and frequency domains. In addition, a full-car model consisting of primary, cabin, and seat suspensions is established, and a hardware-in-the-loop simulation is undertaken to demonstrate a practical feasibility of the proposed seat suspension system showing ride comfort quality under various road conditions.
References | Scitation Citing Articles | CrossRef Citing Articles | All Citing Articles
For more information on reference linking in this publication, click here.
- Queslati, F., and Sankar, S., 1992, "Performance of a Fail-Safe Active Suspension With Limited State Feedback for Improved Ride Quality and Reduced Pavement Loading in Heavy Vehicles," SAE Paper, No. 922474, pp. 796–804.
- Reynolds, H. M., 1993, Automotive Ergonomics, Taylor and Francis Ltd, London, pp. 99–116.
- Rakheja, S., Afework, Y., and Sankar, S., 1994, "An Analytical and Experimental Investigation of the Driver-Seat-Suspension System," Veh. Syst. Dyn., 23, pp. 501–524. [ISI]
- Shimogo, T., Oshinoya, Y., and Shinjyo, H., 1996, "Active Suspension of Truck Seat," JSME 62, pp. 192–198.
- Stein, G. J., 1997, "A Driver's Seat with Active Suspension of Electro-pneumatic Type," J. Vibr. Acoust., 119, pp. 230–235. [ISI]
- Karnopp, D., Crosby, M. J., and Harwood, R. A., 1974, "Vibration Control Using Semi-active Force Generators," ASME J. Eng. Ind., 96(2), pp. 619–626. [ISI]
- Morishita, S., Mitsui, J., and Kuroda, Y., 1990, "Controllable Shock Absorber as an Application of Electro-rheological Fluid," JSME 56, pp. 78–84.0
- Petek, N. K., 1995, "Demonstration of an Automotive Semi-active Suspension Using Electrorheological Fluid." SAE Paper, No. 950586.
- Sturk, M., Wu, X. M., and Wong, J. Y., 1995, "Development and Evaluation of a High Voltage Supply Unit for Electrorheological Fluid Dampers," Veh. Syst. Dyn., 24, pp. 101–121. [Inspec] [ISI]
- Choi, S. B., Choi, Y. T., Chang, E. G., Han, S. J., and Kim, C. S., 1998, "Control Characteristics of a Continuously Variable ER Damper," Mechatronics, 8, pp. 143–161. [Inspec] [ISI]
- Wu, X., and Griffin, M. J., 1997, "A Semi-active Control Policy to Reduce the Occurrence and Severity of End-stop Impacts in a Suspension Seat with an Electrorheological Fluid Damper," J. Vibr. Acoust., 203(5), pp. 781–793.
- Brooks. D. A., 1997, "High Performance Damping Using Electro-Rheological Fluids," Proc. of Int. Conf. on ERF, MRS and Their Applications, Yamagata, Japan, pp. 250–251.
- International Standard Organization ISO-2631/1, 1985, "Evaluation of Human Exposure to Whole-Body Vibration, Part 1: General Requirements."
- Winslow, W. M., 1949, "Induced Fibration Suspension," J. Appl. Phys., 20, pp. 1137–1140.
- Ginder, J. M., and Ceccio, S. L., 1995, "The Effect of Electrical Transients on the Shear Stresses in Electrorheological Fluids," J. Rheol., 39, pp. 211–234.
- Leitmann, G., 1981, "On the Efficiency of Nonlinear Control in Uncertain Linear Systems," ASME J. Dyn. Syst., Meas., Control, 102, pp. 95–102.
- Dorling, C. M., and Zinober, A. S. I., 1986, "Two Approaches to Hyperplane Design in Multivariable Variable Structure Control Systems," International Journal of Control, 44(1), pp. 65–82.
- El-ghezawi, O. M. E., Zinober, A. S. I., and Billings, S. A., 1983, "Analysis and Design of Variable Structure Systems using a Geometric Approach," Int. J. Control, 38(3), pp. 657–671. [Inspec] [ISI]
- Gouw, G. J., Rakheja, S., Sankar, S., and Afework, Y., 1990, "Increased Comfort and Safety of Drivers of Off-highway Vehicles using Optimal Seat Suspension," SAE Paper, No. 901646.
- Nigam, N. C., Narayanan, S., 1994, Applications of Random Vibrations, Springer-Verlag, pp. 219–292.
'Choi's Research > 1.Published' 카테고리의 다른 글
|Management Paradigm Change Under The COVID-19 Crisis (By Dr. Jeonghwan Jerry Choi). (0)||2020.06.23|
|예술인 인재개발 문제와 패러다임 전환! (최정환 박사, 성용원 대표, 박예지 변호사 토론) (0)||2018.08.21|
|앗쌀하게 정리한 인재개발 (Concise of HRD)! (0)||2018.07.23|
|Research on "How can we get employees to work by themselves?". (0)||2014.06.22|
|A Semi-Active Suspension Using ER Fluids for a Commercial Vehicle Seat (0)||2008.07.19|